This is a set of five first readers in te reo Māori. These books for preschool children have simple language and humorous stories – starting children on the path of learning to read Māori and the enjoyment of books. Each book has a complete English translation of the Māori text. The books are illustrated by designer and illustrator Scott Pearson and come in a slipcase box. The titles in the set are:
- He Kai Mā Poni is a story about colours – a pony eats brightly coloured flowers until it doesn’t see the bee in the yellow flower and is stung.
- He Rā Kurī is about recognising different shapes as a girl takes her lolloping dog around an agility trial. At each test there is a mishap, but the dog gets a star for its enthusiasm.
- Te Waimarie Hoki sees Mum and her son using different vehicles to get to town, but each breaks down in a different way, until a train picks them up and their vehicles too.
- Me Haere Tāua? sees pig imagining ways to get through, over or under a river. Finally, pig gets on elephant’s back to cross – to the fair.
- Tau Kē teaches counting up to ten, as groups of animals get into funny costumes and go to a party.
Leave your name and email and we’ll send you a reminder when it’s is available.